The town of Helen Georgia is a quaint little Appalachian town, modeled in the style of classic Bavarian alpine towns, with all of the buildings built in south-German style. Because of its unique style, special events and festivals, and the surrounding country, it has become an important tourist destination.
- Enjoy a thrill at Zip N Time, with zip lines up to half a mile long!
- Do some wine tasting at the Habersham Vineyards & Winery.
- Visit the Unicoi State Park & Lodge, and check out the Anna Ruby Falls.
- Go tubing down the Chattahoochee river.
- Stop by the Dukes Creek Gold & Ruby Mines.
- Buy peanut brittle, jerky, Jalapeño jelly, and other fantastic treats at Fred’s Famous Peanuts.
- Find a few treasures at Nacoochee Antiques.
- Play some Alpine Mini Golf, and enjoy some ice cream.
- See model alpine terrain, trains, and hot air balloons at Charlemagne’s Kingdom.
- Take a look at the historic Stovall Mill Covered Bridge.
- Visit the Romeo & Juliet Indian Burial Mound, where lovers from opposing tribes where buried upon their tragic death.
- Go fishing at the Smithgall Woods State Park & Conservation Area.
- Learn about the town at the Helen/White County Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- Shop a large selection of women’s clothing and jewelry, much of it antique, at the Village Peddler Boutique.
- Find some interesting souvenirs at the Pickled Peach gift shop.
- Taste some excellent fudge at Brookstown Fudge!
Helen Georgia has several special events going on nearly every week, but especially noteworthy is the Oktoberfest celebration each autumn, and the annual Hot Air Balloon Race & Festival which lasts three days, with one hour balloon rides costing $300.
The town of Helen has more than 50 different restaurants and dining options. Here are a few highlights:
- The Nacoochee Villiage Tavern & Pizzeria has great pizza, salads, and desert.
- Spice 55 has fine Thai dining and a sushi bar.
- Mully’s Nacooche Grill is a pleasant restaurant with good food.
- Enjoy German, Czech, and other central European food at Muller’s Famous Cafe.
- Eat a giant pretzel at the Old Bavaria Inn.
- Stop by the Best Bar & Grill and see if they live up to their name.
- Hansel and Gretel Candy Kitchen has all sorts of sweet treats.
- Get Ice Cream, fresh produce, bakery, cheese cakes, and more at Betty’s.
Helen Georgia is located about 20 miles from the northern border. It’s about a 1 hour 40 minute drive north-east of Atlanta, and a 2½ hour drive from Chattanooga TN.